Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:29:03 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] extra dirrectories to remove

--nextPart2097679.hNxUgHsLm6

On Friday, 10. December 2004 21:13, Chuck Swiger wrote:

>  > No other package system I'm aware of emits such a warning - probably
>  > because the authors were aware of the fact that things like shared
>  > directories do exist and packages aren't guaruanteed to completely cle=
an
>  > up behind themselves (and likewise no other package system needs to
>  > bother creating pseudo-packages to own those directories).
>
> Sure, there exist package systems which don't work properly, just as there
> are packages which don't have correct packing lists.  I think the FreeBSD
> ports system does a really good job of tracking ports consistently and
> reproducably, although at the price of nitpicking over details.

Yes, it does a good job, just the warning is bogus. Why? Because it suggest=
s=20
that the packing list is incorrectly specified when exactly the opposite is=
=20
true and it _is_ correct and covers all files and directories. I already ha=
ve=20
given in to implement the workaround to avoid the bogus warning, but it is =
a=20
workaround, not a fix (which would be to eliminate the bogus warning in=20
pkg_delete - possibly by more complex means than just stopping to print it).

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org