Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Subject:   Re: Multiple PCI busses?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Joe Greco wrote:

> > > As long as routing code, device driver code and your routing tables
> > > fit into the cache, you should be OK.  Cache is pretty much irrelevant
> >
> > That won't work, full 'net BGP tables aren't going to fit into the cache:)
>
> Why are you concerned about full 'net BGP tables?  Are you really sending
> data to all ~90,000 advertised routes out there simultaneously?  Or is it
> more likely that you're actively sending many packets to a few hundred?

The box in question is intended for application at a NAP, feeding some
packets (Maybe a few thousand/sec) out for a local site.  Chance are that
over any small amount of time most of the packets heading through the box
will be from a small set of networks.

> With an average routetbl entry of ~136 bytes, that's very likely to at
> least mostly make it into cache.  A nice large cache should minimally
> make a very large dent in main memory thrashing.

You've probably got me here: I'd assume that the routing routines would
have to do a tree search through the table to get the appropriate
interface.  Perhaps the significant nodes of the tree would be
cached?  Does freebsd support a route-cache like cisco?

--- David