Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:27:41 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vlc dvd device

Randy Bush wrote:
> what device does one use for dvds with vlc?  it seems to want /dev/dvd,
> which i can not find in /dev/MAKEDEV.
>
> any config/prefs hints in general?

In FreeBSD it shows up as the CD-ROM device.

For ATAPI devices (what you probably have) this will be /dev/acdNc,
where N is the device number (usually 0).

For SCSI devices it is /dev/cdNc (IIRC).

I don't know if the DVD support in VLC works though.  I never managed to
get it working (although that was a few months ago).

I usually use Ogle, Xine or Mplayer.  Ogle is the easiest to set up, but
doesn't offer any sort of inverse telecine.  Mplayer has a baffling
interface (try mplayer -dvd or mplayer -dvd N, where N is a number from
0 to ~3, -dvdnav doesn't work because you can't actually navigate from
what I can tell).  Xine has always been crashy for me, but works great
for some people.  You have to click on the d4d or dvd button in Xine's
interface.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer