Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:17:40 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Douglas A. Maske" <maske@maske.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, charlie@infoworks.net, lebel@lebel.org, jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 ISSUE!!!!

At 1:03 PM -0800 12/5/00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>For those who do not subscribe to mobile, it is clearly the
>partition type that controls the problem. Newer version of
>BIOS on ThinkPads simply lock up when they see the A5
>partition. Older versions still work.

It is important, but it is not the only factor.  We have over
1500 ThinkPad T20's on this campus (RPI).  If we do a dual-boot
FreeBSD+Win98 install using one method, it works fine.  If we
do a clean install, or try some WinNT+FreeBSD install, it dies.
We have taken working dual-boot machines and made them die by
trying to do something with WinNT+FreeBSD or freebsd-only

So, on the laptops we have played with, it is not true that
an A5 partition will always work, and it is also not true
that an A5 partition will always cause trouble.

If bios versions are important, then note that it is
pretty likely that we have the "earlier bios" and not the
"newer bios".  So, it could be that we're just lucky-ish.

I am afraid I can't really be of any useful help other than
to describe our experiences, as I myself do not own one of
these thinkpads (or any Intel-ish laptop), and can not borrow
one for system-installation testing.  I like freebsd, but
not enough to spend > $2,700 on a laptop I don't need... :-)

[disclaimer: while we do have 1,500 T20's, we aren't trying
  to put freebsd on all of them!  FreeBSD has probably been
  installed on somewhere between 50 to 100 of them]