Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:58:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Probably ahc hardware problem.

David Schwartz wrote...

> 	I havee 3.2-STABLE as of about a day ago. With a 2940U controller:
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci0.16.0
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
>
> 	And I'm seeing this, along with some data corruption:
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x11 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SEQADDR
> ==
> 0xc
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
> ahc0: Bus Device Reset on A:0. 31 SCBs aborted
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x15 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SEQADDR
> ==
> 0x9
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
> ahc0: Bus Device Reset on A:0. 31 SCBs aborted
>
> 	Does this sound like a controller/motherboard problem or a drive problem?
> Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

You omitted one critical piece of information.  What kind of drive is it?

This is likely a drive firmware problem.  This commonly happens with
Quantum Atlas I and II drives, and can generally be fixed by upgrading the
firmware.  It's also possible, of course, for it to happen on other types
of drives as well.

What the "timed out while idle" message means is that a command from the da
driver timed out, and there was nothing else going on at the time.  This
generally means the drive has gone "out to lunch" and hasn't come back.
The timeout for the da driver is 60 seconds, so it's highly unlikely that
your drive just wasn't able to respond in time.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org