Date:      21 Dec 1997 00:30:39 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Compiling Kernels on remote machine & using 'wrong' versions

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:

> Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE> wrote:
>
> > Just build the kernel in
> > /home/phoenix/usr/src/sys/compile/<KERNELNAME>.  AFAIK, the sources
> > below the usr/src/sys directory are used exclusively for the kernel,
> > regardless of the pathname of this directory.
>
> There might be some minor things like the inclusion of standard
> (non-kenel) header files in `genassym' or `aicasm'.  I've always been
> able to resolve these issues at least manually (i.e.. by building those
> two tools on the slow machine, aborting the `make' there, and
> continuing the process on the fast machine in the NFS directory).

The easiest way to solve this is to just extract the include
directory, too.  You want it like this:

src/sys/<kernel source tree>
src/include/<userland include tree>

A directory named 'include' in the same directory as your sys
directory will always be preferred over the includes installed on the
machine.

Eivind.