Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:40:22 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Tek Wiz <tx2023@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Channel interference scan and manual selection
References:  <CAC6a1Dh_vwAMNucd%2BFBB-3CFKpmW3SCRwBrLZfCv%2BaL5=SoJ2Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmonK6zp0tDaeKZatDwu=pr6RKzFC=An5YnVMc3XK1oeNUQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAC6a1DiPrA%2BksO%2BLQu%2BcRgB0jYnz=BcFfMBCmFaiF316OieOxw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmomMXfPxVJLkvUS4=VDe_oiCNgbXa7Aj=E9QkYHJ=gtUag@mail.gmail.com> <46B1EFC5-1AA4-4E51-B199-D4CDACEEA0AC@netgate.com> <CAC6a1Dhuf5AYTYnjo82tO7LL2phBOijS=wTWBdq79NXk6exd5Q@mail.gmail.com>

On 3 December 2013 19:32, Tek Wiz <tx2023@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the interference can be calculated by averaging the beacon RSSI (dB) of
> the overlapping channels, e.g. for channel 6, the beacon RSSI of channels 4,
> 5, 6, 7, 8 are averaged. Normally channels 1, 6, and 11 are chosen, although
> other channels may have less interference, in order to be a 'good neighbor'.

Sure. But we can also look at what kinds of frames we actually receive
during a sample window.

What I'd also like to do is finally add receive power histogram
support. Ie, look at the RSSI of all the frames you receive, stick
them in buckets, respond to the power histogram action request frames,
use them for this.. that doesn't require any driver support. Just
net80211 work in the RX path.

-adrian