Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 16:23:57 -0400
From:      "Thomas Dwyer" <tom@dwyers.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error with PKG_INSTALL

Hello

I was happily using FreeBSD 4.6 Stable.  I had successfully installed =
several ports and downloaded .tar(s) without any problems.

I recently ran cvsup with src-all in the supfile and upgraded to FreeBSD =
4.8-STABLE.

I did the proper steps to upgrade ..
    make buildworld
    make buildkernel ...
    make installkernel ...
    make installworld

I updated my ports to the latest versions as well using cvsup.

Now whenever I try to install any ports package I get the following =
error:

pkg_create: only one package name allowed ('interface' extraneous)
usage: pkg_create [-YNOhvy] [-P pkgs] [-p prefix] [-f contents] [-i =
iscript]
                  [-I piscript] [-k dscript] [-K pdscript] [-r rscript]
                  [-t template] [-X excludefile] [-D displayfile]
                  [-m mtreefile] [-o origin] -c comment -d description
                  -f packlist pkg-filename
       pkg_create [-YNhvy] -b pkg-name [pkg-filename]
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/p5-Authen-PAM.

Looking at the Makefile:
PORTNAME=3D       Authen-PAM
PORTVERSION=3D    0.14
CATEGORIES=3D     security perl5
MASTER_SITES=3D   ${MASTER_SITE_PERL_CPAN}
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=3D     Authen
PKGNAMEPREFIX=3D  p5-
MAINTAINER=3D     des@FreeBSD.org
COMMENT=3D        A Perl interface to the PAM library
PERL_CONFIGURE=3D yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS=3D -DPAM_STRERROR_NEEDS_PAMH
MAN3PREFIX=3D     ${PREFIX}/lib/perl5/${PERL_VERSION}
MAN3=3D           Authen::FAQ.3 \
                Authen::PAM.3
.include <bsd.port.mk>

The "interface" comes from the COMMENT=3D line.  Note that this error =
happens no matter what port I try to install.

When I try to: make deinstall
I get this error:
=3D=3D=3D>  Deinstalling for p5-Authen-PAM-0.14
pkg_delete: package 'p5-Authen-PAM-0.14' doesn't have a prefix
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/p5-Authen-PAM.

Again this error is the same for all ports.

When I try to do pkg_info:
nexus# pkg_info p5-Authen-PAM-0.14
Information for p5-Authen-PAM-0.14:

Comment:
ERROR: show_file: Can't open '+COMMENT' for reading!

ERROR: show_file: Can't open '+DESC' for reading!

I tried to remake and reinstall the pkg_install located in =
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install  but that had no effect.

Has something drastic changed in 4.8, or am I missing something major?

Please help.
Tom