Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@lucy.bedford.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:    Re: How to program the serial interface?

Marco Molteni wrote
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:
>
> > Marco Molteni wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm writing a user-level program to interface a DEC TU58, which is a
> > > state-of-the-art ;-) tape drive; it uses a 256 KB cartridge.
> > >
> > > The interface to it is a RS-232, and I'm asking how do I program the PC
> > > serial interface with FreeBSD? Are there any manual pages or some docs?

The first (and, if you're lucky, last) place to read is man 4 tty.
Depending on how much like a terminal the TU58 is, this might be
all you need.

Other reading
	man tcgetattr
	man tcsetattr
	man termios
	man ioctl
	man sio

> > Yikes, what an antique!
>
> :-)
>
> > I'd check around on some Dec-oriented places. try http://www.decus.org
> > They have some archives on DEC arcana.  Maybe ask on
> > port-pmax@netbsd.org. Do you actually have documentation for what that
> > Dectape wants to have?
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I think I wasn't able to state correctly my question in english :-)

No, your abilities in English are just fine, as I'm sure you know :)
Well, I was afraid to point you in the wrong direction.

> I don't need the specs for the TU58, I need to know how to program a
> serial interface under Unix.

Those man pages, I hope, are a start. I'm fairly weak in this area.

Also see   man select,   man readv, man writev

> I have the TU58 User Manual, and it could be used as an example on
> how to write a PERFECT manual. Clean, with all the hardware specs, and
> also Pascal pseudocode on how to drive the TU58 :-)

Most DEC docs are like that.

> If you are wondering what I'm doing with the TU58, well, I use it (under
> M$-DOS, now) to program an industrial machine (sorry, don't know the
> english term for it).

"embedded device", maybe. "embedded controller", whatever.
"industrial machine" communicates your intentions well, anyway.

If you have working M$-DOG code, it should be fairly straight forward
to get the same effect on BSD.

> Thanks for your reply,

Any time.

Dave