Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:35:08 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>, "Dirk Froemberg" <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Vincent Poy" <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>, <rse@engelschall.com>, <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

From: "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
> I've been reading through this thread again and think there may be some
problems in
> what we're all proposing.  Frontpage in itself relies on DES, which is
> non-exportable, and that can not be changed.  That means that Frontpage
itself would
> not be able to be included in the exportable version.  Tell me if I'm
wrong, but that
> just about brings us back to the beginning.  Without Frontpage and
mod-ssl/ssl...that
> sounds vaguely like the ports we already have.  Just a thought...

No package would be available for the mod_frontpage port due to it's
interactive nature.

The port will also warn that DES libraries needs to be installed and the
Apache Server might need to be recompiled.

Can the Apache server be compiled Dynamically with libcrypt, so that when we
change the link to the libdescrypt libraries the Apache server would
understand DES encryption?

If it can then this would solve the problem of having to recompile the
Apache server, after installing the DES libraries just to include
mod_frontpage.

The only real requirement for the DES passwords has to do with fpsrvadm.exe,
as that program initially sets up the FP webs, and creates the DES passwords
that are placed into ${PREFIX}/www/data/_vti_pvt/service.pwd.  Several
individuals have reported that they changed the DES password to an MD5
password for the initial FP administrator account and they were able to
access the FP webs from their FP clients.  The FP clients do have the
ability under an FP administrator account to add new FP users
(Administrators, Authors, Browse) to FP webs _vti_pvt/service.pwd file. I
don't know if they will create an MD5 password or a DES password thru a
non-DES aware Apache Server.

Scot