Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 22:49:29 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Dual PPRO 180 SuperMicro P6DNE

Hi,

> I just got my new computer at work and have been trying
> to get a SMP kernel running on it and am having no luck.
> Without APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB, everything seems to go
> good until I 'sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2'.  From here
> simple things like ls(1) and more(1) work, but make(1) and
> cvs(1) crash and drop into the debugger.

with ide drives APIC_IO is mandatory for a stable system.

---
> With APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB, everything comes up but nothing
> displays on the screen after the 'SMP: All idle procs online.'
> message.  I cooked up the following script to test if it
> was really alive.
>
> root[~]# cat > get-info
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /home/steve/misc/mptable -verbose -dmesg > mptable.out
> uname -a > uname.out
> root[~]#
>
> I logged in as root and blindly typed ./get-info and here's
> what I get after I reboot with a different kernel so that
> I can see the output.
>
> root[~]# cat mptable.out
>   version:                      1.1

see if you can find a BIOS option to turn on version 1.4

---
if that doesn't help try this:

in src/sys/i386/include/smptests.h you will find 2 defines commented out:

*
#define FAKE_8254_NC
#define IRQ_LO_NC
*/

move these to outside the comment block (ie uncomment them), build an
APIC_IO kernel and see if that works.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD