Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:24:37 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom writer

Christopher R. Bowman:
 |At 08:43 AM 6/12/99 -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>jonathan michaels:
 |> |can anyone recommend, or suggest a replacement for the old hp
 |> |'cd writer' model 6020, please.
 |>
 |>I don't know if you have specific requirements beyond that, but I use a
 |>Ricoh 6200S.  Good driver support in FreeBSD/MSW.  Good apps in Win
 |>(EZCDCreator, etc.).  Works well in FreeBSD; 3.2-RELEASE currently.
 |>
 |>Burns data and audio CDs; burns CDRs and CDRWs; erases CDRWs.  I've done
 |>all of this in both OSs except I haven't tried burning audio CDs in FreeBSD.
 |>(No need now -- I moved all my old band tapes onto CD months ago.)
 |
 |I am curious, how do you burn and erase CDRWs?

Well, on a capable writer, you burn them just like CDRs.  E.g. to burn an
ISO CD image, I use:

   cdrecord -v -fs=0 speed=2 dev=0,0 /path/iso.img

(Double-speed is nice since it only takes 35 min for a full 650MB instead of
around 70min.)

Then to erase CDRWs:

     cdrecord -blank=fast     OR
     cdrecord -blank=all

Of course you can read these CDRs/CDRWs on your CD-recorder drive.  But to
keep the wear-and-tear off them except for burning, just pick up a cheap
multi-read IDE CD-ROM.  This let's you read CDRWs (and CDRs of course) on
the cheap drive which is what I typically do.  I picked up one of those
Digital Research 36X in December (the ones they're practically giving away
at Frys, CompUSA, Staples, etc.)  It's 36X -- really 9X or so I believe --
but much faster than the 2X read of the burner.

Randall