Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:51:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do I create a total of 6 vtty's?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Gary Kline wrote:

>    What do I need to do to make a total of 6 virtual ttys?  There are
>    only 4 ttyvN entries in /etc/ttys but 12 entries in /dev.

Just edit /etc/ttys, and add more entries.  BTW, 4.1.1-stable has 8 vtys
in /etc/ttys.  You want to add some vtys like this:

ttyv1     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"       cons25    on  secure
ttyv2     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"       cons25    on  secure
ttyv3     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"       cons25    on  secure
ttyv4     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"       cons25    on  secure
ttyv5     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"       cons25    on  secure
ttyv6     "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"     xterm     off secure

Then, do a "kill -HUP 1" to make the changes to your /etc/ttys file
active.

You must be running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE, correct?

- Donn