Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:12:30 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Promise FastTrack PCI IDE controller

>>Errors in wdreset() for the Promise (at least for the Ultra/33)
>>probably mean that du->dk_altport is not initialized properly.  (Setting
>
>There is a problem with the way du->dk_altport is set in wdattach.  It
>is set correctly in wdprobe, but incorrectly in wdattach.  The following
>patch fixes that.  However, this isn't sufficient to get the card working
>with the RAID BIOS is installed.  The wdreset() problem is, however,
>more noticable in that case because it then it gets called after the
>attach.

I knew about the wdattach() bug, but thought that it was unimportant
because wdreset() doesn't get called except for error handling.  Of
course, errors are likely when the interface is screwed up.

The driver has some support for falling back to PIO mode after certain
errors.  I've never seen that work.  Timeouts are very generious so I
would expect it to take several minutes at best.  It only does it for
aborted commands, and there is no provision for getting back to DMA mode
if the error wasn't for DMA.

Bruce