Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:12:08 -0600
From:      John Stevens <jms3@mci2000.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP install

PPP install asks for me to choose between the detected COM ports through
which to make the PPP connection. The 1st install gave me a choice of 2
COM ports (1&2).  My modem was using COM3 at the time, so I assumed that
FreeBSD was capable of detecting COMs 1 & 2 only.

Consequently, to prepare for the 2nd install, I jumpered my modem card
from COM3 to COM2, and from IRQ5 to IRQ3.  Then I used the Setup BIOS on
bootup to disable my 2nd Serial Port to free up the COM2 resources (port
address 02F8 and IRQ3).  When I booted with FreeBSD floppy and reached
the PPP install screen, it only offered me COM1 for modem connection.
FreeBSD didn't even recognize my modem on COM2.

My modem is a "Boca Research 28.8Kbps MV.34AI"  The following is an
excerpt from the Intro section of the Advanced User's Guide for this
modem:

"The Home Fax Modem, along with the supplied driver software, is
designed to take advantage of your system's processor, thus eliminating
the need for a standard on-board UART."

I am willing to purchase the CD-ROM installation, or copy the essential
files to a DOS partition via WIN95 and install from that partition.
Before I do this however, I would like to know if I will ever be able to
use my Modem with FreeBSD; if not, I may want to give Red Hat Linux a
try.

Thanks for reading my letter.  It's a pleasure to communicate with
another Son of God who also happens to be a pc Guru.

John Stevens