Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:27:14 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   trying again

I've successfully installed 2.1.6 and the minimal XFree86 distribution and
have added a couple of x-window clients, including Netscape 3.01.  I would
like to get the "XKeysymDB" and "Xapplresdir files" in the right place, and
the XNLSPATH correct (so I don't get the key error messages when I start up
Netscape).  Where in FreeBSD do I put the pointers and path statements?
I've added the following lines to .xsessions in the root directory and to
XResources;

XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
XNLSPATH=/usr/share/nls/

The files are in the places that the Netscape README says to put them; the
paths are typed just as the README says to do (e.g. forward slash after
"nls").  Obviously, I've put these statements in the wrong place.  Where do
they go?  It might help to know I start up X from root with xdm, use the
XF86_S3 server, and once I've got the server running, use the xterm to
start Netscape.

Thanks for your time.   FreeBSD is fascinating.

Michael Alwan

p.s. :I'm sending this message out again, and hoping someone has: 1)
downloaded the Netscape 3.01 BSD distribution from the Netscape server
(rather than retrieving the port from freebsd.org) and 2) starts X logged
in as root with xdm.  As far as I can tell, I unpacked the gziped file
correctly and got all the files in the right directories.  Netscape runs,
but gives me the key assignment error messages.  All I need is to configure
it properly.

Thanks again, and thanks to all who replied to my first post.