Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:09:27 -0700
From:      Corey Holcomb-Hockin <crsntlvs@ipeg.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fxtv crash

Eric Anholt wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 10:22, Corey Holcomb-Hockin wrote:
>

>>I have the XFree86 package that came with the 4.6.2 cd.  I've never
>>tried to compile it from ports because I figured it would be a long
>>download  and I'm on dialup.  Does this options add the mga_hal module?
>>
>>When you mentioned official Matrox drivers I checked the matrox website
>>and found some linux drivers with source.  I guess thats not what you
>>meant.
>>
>>I also tried getting dri working by compiling agp into the kernel.
>> XFree86 still gives errors about not finding mga_hal, then disabling
>>dri.  Are these things needed for dma with the wintv and if so where do
>>I get mga_hal?
>>

>The WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER option installs that mga_hal binary from
>Matrox and uses Matrox's source for the 2d driver.  At some point I may
>break the binary driver off into its own port which just installs the
>mga_hal and we wouldn't use Matrox's 2d source at all.
>
>XFree86 from ports is a significant download, but since it includes
>security updates I highly recommend it.
>
>As far as DRI, you should be able to get it working by following the
>instructions at the link in the .sig.  DRI shouldn't be needed for
>anything but hw-accel 3d.  I could be wrong, though, I don't know too
>much about the Matrox situation.

I compiled XFree86 from ports with that with the WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER.
 I stopped getting the mga_hal error, but I'm still getting a

mga(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI

error message when I startx.

Fxtv still crashes without -disableDirectV which is pretty disappointing.

I'd like it if the port was broken off.  I already had the matrox driver
src tgz downloaded I just didn't know I could use it.  It would be nice
if I didn't have to compile all of X.

Corey Holcomb-Hockin