Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:43:44 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>, =?iso-8859-1?q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Modular ata chipsets data

On Saturday 04 October 2008 02:31:35 pm S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
> I found the devel tree with a modulerized ATA subsystem in it, and =20
> just upgraded it to the latest greatest from -current.
> It can be found on http://deepcore.dk/pub/ATA as two files, ata-=20
> modules-diff that contains a diff for /sys/conf/files and ata-=20
> modules.tgz that is a replacement for /sys/dev/ata.
> This turns the chipset parts into a module for each vendor, and they =20
> are all compiled in as is, however they can be left out on a pr vendor =20
> basis (there are a few interdependencies though).
> I havn't written all the /sys/modules/ata/*/Makefiles that it would =20
> take to make it into loadable modules, but thats trivial todo.
>=20
> Now what I'd like to find good generic solutions to is:
>=20
> How to select the proper modules at config/compile time without =20
> drowning in "option ATA_BLA_BLA" in the config.

What happens with mii is that you have a choice, you can either use 'device=
=20
miibus' in which case you get all of the various drivers and the=20
infrastructure, or you can use 'device mii', 'device rlphy', etc. if you wi=
sh=20
to take a more fine-grained approach.  Similarly, there is a miibus.ko that=
=20
just depends on all the sub-drivers so you can still do 'kldload miibus.ko'=
=20
to load all of them.  I think this is probably a fine model as it will stil=
l=20
load everything by default, but people who care about the space savings can=
=20
trim things down as desired.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin