Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:47:43 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal), dave@jetcafe.org (Dave Hayes), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS CUBX Motherboard 3rd and 4th IDE channels

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > I am attempting to install FreeBSD 4.1.1, off floppy, brand new CUBX
> > > motherboard with the 4 IDE channels. It's a GENERIC kernel, so I've done
> > > nothing to it yet.
> >
> > GENERIC:
> > device      ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> > device      ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> >
> > notice the lack of ata2 and ata3.
> >
> > I have no idea what irq to use though.
>
> Kind of begs the question: why is this stuff still statically
> allocated in "config" anyway,

It isn't anymore.

>                               since it's PnP known to the
> system, and so could be configured dynamically.

Yes, it is dynamic now.  These were only ever used as fallback hints for
non-PnP, non-PCI systems.

> The only argument for this, I guess, is to allow you to
> leave the controller and driver out of a kernel entirely?

You can already do this - it would be trivially easy to wrap up the ide
drivers into a kld file and have it loaded prior to boot time.

> It seems to me that the same effect could be had by ensuring
> that said drivers were in their own ELF sections, and that
> that space be reclaimed, should a device not be found.

This is one of the exact goals in -current - to be able to do this.  We can
already reclaim preload space, but nobody has connected it up yet.

Cheers,
-Peter