Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:49:44 -0500
From:      "Rob" <rpd@core.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apsfilter (or is it ghostscript?) doesn't print correctly...Help!

     Hello FreeBSD-questions readers,

     I am having a hell of a time getting my print system up and running.
I installed the `apsfilter' port (and all of the ports it slurps up,
including teTeX, ghostscript, and others) on my personal home system:
FreeBSD 3.3 with an NEC SuperScript 860 running under 300x300 dpi, PCL4,
LaserJet IIP compatability mode.  (I am using apsfilter-5.1.4.)
     If I print a raw text file > /dev/lpt0 (or `lpr -Praw'), the
file is printed correctly.  However, once I use `apsfilter' -- for
example:

          $ lpr man.ps

-- only a quarter page (at most) is printed correctly, then I get ASCII
garble, and the rest of the file is not printed.  I then have to `lprm'
the file and shut down the printer so it doesn't keep spewing blank pages.
I have used both ghostscript-5.50 and ghostscript-5.10, and both
render perfectly fine in x11 viewing software.
     In the past, I have used this same printer on FreeBSD (Both 2.2.7 and
3.x) with no problem.  But after having the printer in storage for a few
months, I thought I would reinstall everything, and it has been a mess.
     The printer itself seems okay, and the printer's internal settings
page prints fine when I press the manual printer settings button.
     Incidentally, I experimented with `dvilj2p' -- a separate program
provided in the texmf package -- which directly translates *.dvi files
to LaserJet IIP format.  With `lpr -Praw file.lj', I get something that
works much better, but it doesn't print lowercase `a' for some reason,
and sometimes individual letters are sprinkled randomly on the page.
     What's going on here?

     -Rob