Date:      29 Jul 2000 17:42:16 +0200
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration profiles

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no> writes:
> If you have a DHCP server available and either control it yourself or
> are very friendly with the admin, yes. But DHCP servers aren't always
> available (or practical), and even when they are, you don't always
> control them.

Actually, I think that was my point.  You can configure dhclient so
that when it does not find a DHCP server, it will take one of the
leases from its database.  In other words, you can make that part
(address, routers, netmask, name servers, ...) work the same way when
the network has a DHCP-server as to when it does not.  So, you don't
need a DHCP-server to make use of dhclient.

> There's a whole real world out there, and it won't always let you do
> what you want.

You don't need to tell me. :-)

And yes, I know there are lots of other stuff to configure, but having
dhclient taken care of some of the stuff is a good beginning, at least
for me.

/assar