Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:16:09 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting X server within KDE?

In the last episode (Jul 26), David Gerard said:
> Many years ago, I ran fvwm2 under Solaris. It actually had a menu
> option set up whereby you could restart the X server without all your
> X clients dying.
>
> I really wanted this the other week when KDE went weird on me and the
> mouse pointer disappeared. (After only two months! With this sort of
> unreliability, open source will never be ready for Joe Consumer.)
>
> How does one restart the X server without it killing all the clients?

That's not possible.  More likely is that your fvwm2 menu option simply
restarted fvwm2 itself.  Many window managers have this option plus a
couple other "launch twm/blackbox/olwm" etc entries to shuffle between
different window managers.  Depending on how you launched KDE, you
might be able to just kill it and restart it.  If you exec it at the
bottom of your .xinitrc though, you would have to have kde reexec
itself (since exiting kde would also exit X).  I don't know if kde has
that option, though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com