Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 08:34:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, mike@smith.net.au, archie@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

> > > ... in a database.  Go visit Terry's cube tomorrow.  Say "LDAP?" and
> > > wait for the lecture.

Apparently Mike has spies everywhere... 8-).

> > No, not just any database -- a "registry"! :-)
>
> Yeah, and?  Ask anyone that's administered a network of Apollo systems
> how useful the registry is.
>
> > (shudder, cringe, vomit)
>
> Isn't it nice to have your ideas judged on the merits of someone else's
> implementation?

What's even better is when they start pointing at the things that
some idiot in his wisdom decided to store in the other implementations
key values, and assume that the content is a result of the technology
being fundamentally flawed as opposed to blaming the idiot for a poor
schema definition.  8-).

FreeBSD *does* have a schema *right now*.

It's just not documented anywhere, and it's not in third normal form,
so there is data duplication, and modifying data doesn't transparently
cause everything that depends upon the value of the data to "do the
right thing" (wouldn't it be nifty if you chould change your IP
address, and not care that it had changed because you knew that all
daemons bound to the altered interface would just "do the right thing"?).

Basically, it's a big cache coherency problem; all the data that
gets changed and results in the wrong thing happening is "cached"
in the program doing the wrong thing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---