Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 08:59:10 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RBPI3B+ FreeBSD 12 ZFS

On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 17:38 +0200, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> I know ZFS would need a decent amount of RAM to start with. So for
> such low sized
> SBC systems, like Raspberry PI having ZFS for root might be no go.
>
> What I meant was: how complicated would be right now for FreeBSD 12
> to have an
> ARM64 RBPI3B+ image image which could use ZFS to boot from a SD Card.
>
> Stefan Parvu
> sparvu@kronometrix.org

People have run a 512MB beaglebone with zfs on sdcard. It surely wasn't
high performance, and it reported needed some hand-tuning to run at
all, but it worked.

There's a lot of mythology about sdcards and what they can and can't
do, and how supposedly fragile they are.  It's all a bunch of noise you
can safely ignore.  They're slow, but they're plenty reliable.

-- Ian