Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:09:18 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Subject:   Re: pkg_libchk: a missing library is not detected

On Monday 15 June 2009 02:55:09 Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply, this was auto-sorted into the ports@ mails
> and drowned there.
>
> Boris Samorodov wrote:

> > As I understand pkg_upgrade does not preserve old libraries at
> > /usr/local/lib/compat?
>
> That's true. I consider this common approach a security risk.

It is a service interruption to delete libraries that are still used and this
can also lead to security problems.
However, pkg_upgrade cannot ever hope to fix this problem, because the
buildservers do not unconditionally rebuild packages that mention the upgraded
port in LIB_DEPENDS, therefore it is better to leave these shared libraries
around.

> To ensure that you get the newest packages wipe
> /usr/ports/packages/All.

Erm, the download time associated with that approach doesn't really speed up
things, nor does it guarantee that you will have working binaries if the port
maintainer forgot to version bump a port.
--
Mel