Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:55:45 -0400
From:      "Norman C. Rice" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who's in FTP

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 01:37:27PM -0500, Frank Griffith wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 2.2.7 running on a Pentium computer.
> I use ppp tp connect to my ISP. From time to time,
> other associates FTP into this server via the net and
> transfer files.
>
> My question is, how can I see when someone logs into
> FTP or Telnet?

Try the `w' command.

> Also, how can I see a log of who has
> accessed the computer via FTP and telnet?

It depends on how /etc/syslog.conf is set up to log
events. You can add entries like

!ftpd
*.*				/var/log/ftp.log
*.*				frankg
!telnetd
*.*				/var/log/telnet.log
*.*				frankg

to the bottom of /etc/syslog.conf and send a -HUP to
syslogd. Then create the empty log files.

  touch /var/log/telnet.log
  touch /var/log/ftp.log

Future ftp and telnet server events should be logged to
the files indicated. User `frankg' will also be sent the
log message.

Note that the white space between the `*.*' and log file
or user name must be created with TABs (no spaces!).

You can test this with the logger(1) command.

  logger -t ftpd "Someone's using ftp"
  logger -t telnetd "Someone's using telnet"

You can also kill and restart syslogd in the debug
mode (syslogd -d) if you are having problems (run
it in a separate window).

You may want to start ftpd with `-ll' (/etc/inetd.conf) to
increase the amount of logging (man ftpd).
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.