Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:10:43 +0000
From:      Jim Hatfield <subscriber@insignia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD5 and FBSD6 aren't too keen on the SFU/AD NIS server

My current situation is that I have a Solaris based NIS server
and various client machines, including FreeBSD.

A production FreeBSD 5 machine and a test FreeBSD 6 machine work just
fine with it, except for a small glitch on the FreeBSD 6 machine:

>speyburn# ypwhich
>panther.internal.local
>speyburn# ypwhich -m
>ypwhich: can't find the master of ``: reason: No such map in server's =
domain

The FreeBSD 5 machine correctly lists all the maps.

I want to move to a NIS server provided by Microsoft's Services for
Unix running on an Active Directory domain controller. FreeBSD 6 seems
to work OK, though the error message changes slightly:

>speyburn# ypwhich
>axiom.internal.local
>speyburn# ypwhich -m
>ypwhich: can't find the master of `: reason: No such map in server's =
domain

(only one quote rather than two). But it actually functions fine:

>speyburn# id jhatfield
>uid=3D115(jhatfield) gid=3D100(Domain Users) groups=3D100(Domain Users),=
 0(wheel)

I can log in with no problem. Unfortunately the FreeBSD 5 machine does
not work fine at all. Firstly it can only find one map:

>banff# ypwhich
>axiom.internal.local
>banff# ypwhich -m
>ypservers axiom

And it can't convert login names to UIDs:

>banff# id jhatfield
>id: jhatfield: no such user

If anyone has experience of pointing FreeBSD at an SFU/AD NIS server
I'd like to know if they had this problem and if so how it was solved.
I really want to move to the AD NIS so if I have to I'll replace the
machine with one running FreeBSD 6, but I'd prefer not to have to.