Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:50:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GNU software (was: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction)

On Tuesday, 21 July 1998 at 17:08:58 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>>> I disagree. The Free Software Foundation's main objective nowadays is to
>>> promote the notion that the GPL is the One True Way.
>>
>> That may be.  But do you intend to stop using GNU software because of
>> that?  If not, I think it's fair to support the people who supply it.
>
> You're making the mistake that the FSF want you to; namely that they
> are the sole source of "GNU" software.  What you may mean is that we
> should not stop using GPL'd software.

I'm not sure we're understanding each other here.  My question was
rhetorical, with an implicit "no" as answer.  Looking in
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin, I see:

  bc cvs gdb gzip ptx tar binutils dc genclass ld rcs texinfo bison
  dialog gperf man sdiff as cc diff grep patch send-pr awk cpio diff3
  groff perl sort

Of these, I use frequently and believe we have no alternative source
of:

  cvs gdb gzip rcs texinfo bison grep patch awk groff perl sort

I also use Emacs and bash, both of which are GPLd.  I have no
intention of even trying to change.

> Whether that's desirable is arguable, but note that AFAIK almost
> none of the GPL'd components we use (for example) are developed or
> have their development supported substantially by the FSF.

gcc, gdb, Emacs, bash, grep, awk?

Greg