Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:02:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@sci.kun.nl>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System advice requested

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> If I were to get a dual opteron board/system what things would be
> to watch out for, or would be required. Hardware wise that is.
>
> In the beginning I would like to use is as:
>     1) FreeBSD/windows/linux desktop
> and lateron it would turn into my
>     2) Home NFS/Samba-server running FBSD

For all of that, dual opteron sounds massively overdone. Unless you can
write off the system for tax purposes, or desperately want to play with
dually stuff, there's no performance benefit over, say, an athlon XP
1600+. Performance in the sense of "snappy desktop use".

Put another way - the reason for having a dual board is massive compute
power and/or massive memory. I don't see much point in having 8G of memory
in a home NFS server (unless you want to cache _everything_), and for
desktop use, again, a single is really all you need. Unless your house
needs heating, of course.

There are several hardware-issues related threads in the archives at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/ -- it looks like some
SATA stuff is to be avoided, depending on your FBSD install image the GigE
may give you some trouble and require a different NIC for fetching newer
sources, 4+2 DIMM configurations are crap.