Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 13:52:13 -0700
From:      JG <amd64list@jpgsworld.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

At 08:53 PM 5/22/2004 +0300, you wrote:
>JG wrote:
>

>>The best FreeBSD config I've got on my AMD64 64-bit hardware was
>>running 32-bit i386 FreeBSD with MySQL compiled with Linuxthreads.
>>And those results were poor compared to  Linux tests -  they were
>>just much higher than any other FreeBSD config.
>Sure. I run mysql with linuxthreads because that was the only viable=20
>option a while ago.

Based on the results of myself and others who have posted on this same=
 subject,
It also appears the be the best "viable option" _now_ as well.

>>I's been established on the other lists that threading is not being=20
>>handled properly to begin with.
>>That has been the longtime crux with MySQL on FreeBSD, and why=20
>>"Linuxthreads" has been
>>recommended for so long as well, no?
>>
>>Also,  we see almost nearly the same results running on a single CPU as=20
>>we do when we run SMP
>>
>>  - I don't believe the HD is to blame here.
>People with religion don=B4t do well on science. You have to pick if you=
 are=20
>open to the truth or if you have made your mind up already.

People with delusions of infallibility don't do well with listening to=20
other people's suggestions or discoveries.

>If you read my message again and follow it=B4s logic, you=B4ll find it does=
=20
>not "blame the HD" but if you are disk-bound it does not help if you have=
=20
>one, two, four or a gazillion CPU's because they are not going to go any=20
>faster.

>  I don=B4t have an opinion of 32 vs 64 bit mode but with Opteron CPU's the=
=20
> performance in both environments is very close, you should not expect 64=
=20
> bit mode to run double the speed of 32 bit mode.

Who said anything about expecting double the performance when using a 64=20
bit machine? I don't expect all V8 engines to outperform all 4 cylinder=20
engines by twice as much either, go figure.