Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:39:23 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Jeremy Fincher <jfincher@cinci.rr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't use internet after recompiling kernel

While we're on the issue, does having bpf in the kernel mean your card
is always in promisc mode, or does it only drop into that when something
actually uses the bpf device?  A
Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:21:46 EST, Jeremy Fincher wrote:
>
> > Now, I do have a few questions: First of all, why is something with
> > "security and privacy implications" required for something as simple as
> > dhcp?
>
> I've been told it's because of limitations of our networking software.
> but if you think that having bpfilter in your kernel is a "security" or
> "privacy" problem, you probably don't need any more technical detail
> than I can give you. :-)
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 1999 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved