Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 02:20:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        attila@hun.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: end of 2.2-stable support and the future of ports

As I recall, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> As I recall, attila wrote:
>>>Been there.  My web and ftp server is at 2.1-STABLE (built from the
>>>2.1.7 CD set).  I bought several copies of 2.1.7, because I expected
>>>to run it for some time.
>>>Unfortunately, not all the distfiles are on the CDs, and the last
>>>time I went looking for one on the net, it was a long search.  I
>>>finally wound up back-porting something from the 2.2 tree.

Responding to my own post...

What I was discussing was whether Walnut Creek wanted to publish the
definitive 2.2 final set.  That means (on CD-ROM) an installation set,
the ports collection, and =all= the distfiles associated with with that
ports collection.  I don't care about the "live filesystem" and the
like, for this purpose.

I also asked if that would fit on a 2 CD-ROM set.

It's the distfiles that is the issue here.  If I "cvsup"ed the
/usr/ports tree, and then did a "make fetch" from the /usr/sup
directory, would that do the right thing?  How much disk space would it
take?  Would that give me something suitable for CD-ROM burning?

What we'er trying for here is the definitive final 2.2 CD-ROM set, such
that any package that exists as a port will =guarenteed= build,
avoiding bit-rot for those of us that use FreeBSD in a production
environment.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net