Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@razorfish.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Anybody Using the Soft Updates File System?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 04-Jun-99),
the great prophet Hans-Christoph Steiner once wrote:

> I have just read about the soft updates file system and it sounds very
> promising.  But the doc I read
> (ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/contrib/sys/softup
> dates/README)
> said that it was still alpha.
>
> Has anybody used this in a production environment?  If so, how has it
> worked for you?

I've been using softupdates on my daily-use machines for almost 4 months
now.  These machines are on 24/7 and take quite a lot of disk use (news
server, Samba server, my personal workstation) and I have not had any
problems with softupdates.  In fact, it has saved my butt on several
occasions already.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.