Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:38:42 GMT
From:      JD Bronson <jd@aurora.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/77154: 5.3 refuses to boot when IDE channel2 is enabled and no drive is installed

>Number:         77154
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       5.3 refuses to boot when IDE channel2 is enabled and no drive is installed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using 5.3 release is when I 1st noticed this. CVSup to 5.3-STABLE does not fix this trouble.

If both IDE channels are enabled and they are all set to AUTO/AUTO for master/slave and there is no drive (yet) installed to IDE channel2, the machine hangs at boot. If I install a drive to IDE channel2, the machine boots.

If I disable IDE channel2, the machine will boot as well.

When it hangs, all I see on the console is:

FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

..if I hit <return> at this point, the beastie menu comes up.
The machine will NOT boot on it's own.
>How-To-Repeat:
See Description