Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:42:16 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Leaving a server on all day

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:21:01PM +0100, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I have my desktop configured to run as a server and app server for a thin
> client laptop.  Will running it all day without suspend mode use a lot of
> power?
>
> Is it true that the heat buildup in a home system (rather than a heavily
> fanned commercial system) will kill the drives faster and this is a good
> reason to turn it off during the day when I am not home?

Take the side off of your case, turn the open side toward the wall,
with some space between it and the wall. Especially during the summer.

I don't put my box on the floor, if you were wondering. I have an
Athlon 1.2, a Plextor CD/RW, and multiple drives in the 7200 rpm
range; and of course a gpu, and the psu, and the sound card...they all
generate heat. The kicker: I'm on the top floor of my building in a
treeless area. I'd rather the heat spill out the side, than have it
pulled out the psu or the fan on the back. I've seen rigs that have
hoses which pull the heat out of the box, and pump it into the wall.