Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:01:11 +0500
From:      Sergey Gershtein <sg@ur.ru>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Strange lock-ups during backup over nfs after adding 1024M RAM

On Wednesday, January 30, 2002 Peter Jeremy wrote:

PJ> Compile and run a kernel with "options DDB".  When it locks up, use
PJ> Ctrl-Alt-Esc to enter DDB and try "ps" - this will tell you what
PJ> processes are running/blocked.  (Read ddb(4) for more details).

I did that, started backup and when the lock-up happened entered
DDB from console.  ps output showed that most processes were in
'inode' state (wmesg title of ps output).  There were about a hundred
of httpd processes and 2 nfsd in 'inode' state.  Another one nfsd process
was in 'FFS node' state.

When I typed 'c' to go on, switched to another console and tried to
log in (it froze after hitting enter) I entered DDB again and ps
showed that getty process went into 'inode' state too.

Could you tell me what this 'inode' state means and what conclusions
can be done from the situation?

By the way, the file system that is being backuped has a lot (more
than 1,000,000) of small files (less than 1Kb each). They are
organized in directory structure of about 1000 files per directory.
The lock-up happens while backuping these files over nfs.  Does it
have anything to do with number of inodes?  Does name translation
cache somehow get overflowed?  How all of this is related to the
amount of system RAM (no lock-ups ever happened until we increased the
amount of RAM from 1Gb to 1,5Gb).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Sergey Gershtein