Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:34:25 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 04:21:46PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> For email, require your users to use IMAP or POP3 with APOP.  Both feature
> encrypted password access.
>
> For file transfer, disable your FTP server and make your users use scp.
> If they have ssh setup, scp should work just fine.

If your users have access to ssh and are running unix-like OSes, I've
written some scripts which use ssh and movemail to fetch email.
I call the scripts fmail.

I got tired, even with ssh redirected POP, of the time and slow
handshaking of the POP protocol.

Now I get full speed (bandwidth) delivery of my email via an encrypted and
compressed channel.

Myself and one other person have been using the scripts for months.

fmail requires (well not exactly) passwordless ssh entry into the system
with the mail. Basically requires that you copy
localhost:~account/.ssh/identity.pub to
mailhost:~account/.ssh/authorized_keys

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>