Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:33:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MIDI keyboards

Hi chuck;

welcome to the largest gaping whole in free unix...period.

Unless somebody has finally created a keyboard input module for rosegarden
( 2.0 is the last release i have seen, and it does not do it, wish it did,
cause otherwise rosegarden is totally ready for [prime time.. ), u are
limited to jazz or tclmidi. Tclmidi is written by mike durian and a guy
named greg wolodkin wrote a simple sequencer in tcl ( i would use it,
except i *despise* tcl. period. ) for the tclmidi package. Needs special
midi driver, but mike tells u how to install it in the readme. i would not
reccomend jazz because it does not have a freebsd driver and it requires
xviews, which i might hate more than tcl, but i am not sure.

	somebody(tm) needs to write a keyboard driver for rosegarden....

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I have become the proud owner of a cheap midi keyboard.  I have a gus
> card, and the cord I have seems to fit nicely into the DB15 on the back of
> the 1M non-PNP (older model) GUS.  My GUS card has always been really
> functional under FreeBSD, but I don't spot any unix software that wants to
> see a keyboard.
>
> Have I missed something, or am I going to have to start from scratch on
> this?  If I have to start from scratch, is the midi connection logically
> related to one of my present /dev devices?

> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
> (301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life