Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:15:35 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>, java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using Ant (continued)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 06:15am, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> > Not a big fan of symlinks myself, but I otherwise agree. :)
>
> So perhaps we should copy the file? Usually I prefer symlinking over
> copying of files, but I know symlinks tend to cause problems on NFS
> partitions and so.

The problem with symlinks is when someone removes the source file, the symlink
stays.  Not that this is a major problem, I just think it's messy.

All JAR's built out of ports should be in ${PREFIX}/lib/java.  There isn't any
need to put them in different locations.   Only non-JAR classfiles will be in
subdirs by ${PORTNAME}.  That makes it predictable, no need to symlink.  Even
if a dependency is installed elsewhere, we can hack the "build.xml" one-off
to look for wherever that exception is... and try to persuade the maintainer
to follow the java port spec.

Or if we want to get pedantic about it, we can do a 'find' in ${PREFIX} to
locate all the JAR and class files and format it into a properties file that
Ant reads and executes on.  :)

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]