Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:46:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        dnelson@emsphone.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: writing slower with SoftUpdates

Mikhail Teterin wrote...
> Dan Nelson once wrote (regarding iozone reporting ~10% slower results
> with SoftUpdates, compared to without -- sync mount):
>
> > > WCE was ON on both drives:
> > >
> > > Checking SCSI drives for write-cache:
> > > <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0006>           at scbus0 target 8 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> > > <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0006>           at scbus0 target 9 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
>
> > > I disabled WCE on both and re-ran the iozone tests. No noticable
> > > changes from the previous numbers... What really bothers me, is the
> > > fact that reading speed speed is consistently only 13-14Mb/s on one
> > > disk, while it is 17-18 (same as writing) on the other. Can it be,
> > > that one of the partitions I'm trying this on is /tmp (the other is
> > > /var/tmp)? There are no files in either one of them and they are of
> > > the same size and offset on two identical disks.
>
> > The different mountpoint shouldn't make any difference. I guess you
> > could dump the bad-block table for both drives, and see if your slower
> > disk has more relocated blocks than the faster one. "camcontrol
> > defects -u 0 -f block" will dump the blocklist.
>
> (pass0:ahc0:0:8:0): READ DEFECT DATA(10). CDB: 37 0 0 0 0 0 0 fd e8 0
> (pass0:ahc0:0:8:0): RECOVERED ERROR asc:1c,0
> (pass0:ahc0:0:8:0): Defect list not found field replaceable unit: 18 sks:ca,2

Seagate drives generally don't support the block defect list format, and
the error they spit out to tell you that isn't exactly intuitive.  Try the
physical sector format:

camcontrol defects -u 0 -f phys -G

To get the permanant defect list:

camcontrol defects -u 0 -f phys -G

To get both:

camcontrol defects -u 0 -f phys -PG

> > If you still can't find the problem, try asking in the freebsd-scsi
> > mailinglist.
>
> CC-ed there. The machine is 350MHz PentumII with 128Mb of 100MHz RAM.
> The disks are LVD being the only targets on the LVD outlet of Adaptec
> 2940U2W.

If I read your comments above correctly, it appears that you've already
tried enabling/disabling write caching.  That can certainly have an effect
on things.  One other thing to look at is where you are on the disk.  I/O
performance will be better on the outer diameter tracks.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com