Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:18:01 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Daichi T.GOTO" <daichi@ongs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About Japanese problem with Swing.

> > JDK 1.1.7 can recognize only `ja', `japanese' and `PCK'
> > as encoding for Japanese.
> >
> > I can't be sure which, Sun or porting team, should deal
> > with the problem. More people will be happy if Sun deal
> > with. But Sun may claim that current implementation is
> > sufficient, because current JDK supports `ja' and
> > `japanese' which is values of LANG for SunOS 5.
>
> Uhhmmm. What do porting team menbers think about this?

Personally, I don't care a whole lot.  Note, I don't *plan* on making
anymore JDK1.1 releases as I'd like to focus my efforts on JDK1.2.
However, if there are *significant* bugs in JDK1.1 (feel free to
convince me) in the FreeBSD portions of the JDK and/or Sun releases a
new JDK1.1 release *and/or* someone submits working ELF patches for a
JDK1.1 port, make a new release.

> > Who should deal with this problem?
>
> Maybe the best is working of Sun. But the realistic solution is dealing
> with it by powerful porting team.

The porting team has no 'power' per-se.  We just make a port, and have
no relationship with Sun. :(

Nate