Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:15:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jose Maria <josemaria@ieee.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quit gcc from base install

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:45:30PM +0100, Jose Maria wrote:
> I want to use a FreeBSD like a production server and I don't need gcc in =
it.=20
> Can I quit or uninstall gcc from the base install?

FreeBSD is a good choice for a production server.

Sure you can remove gcc if you want -- but you'll have to do it
manually after installing the system the normal way.  You'll lose the
ability to update the system as required when security patches come
out and give yourself occasional grief in other ways, but you can
certainly remove gcc.

I'm really not sure what the point of doing this is.  If it's on
"security grounds" then you need to beware of woolly-minded thinking:
anyone capable of breaking into a properly secured FreeBSD box will be
eminiently capable of copying gcc onto it as well.  Of of compiling
programs elsewhere and copying the results onto the machine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way