Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:25:39 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem of choice for a Linux/FreeBSD shared backup disk?

On Tue 2008-09-23 23:13:32 UTC+0200, Laszlo Nagy (gandalf@shopzeus.com) wrote:

>> For making backups I would probably just use FAT32 and tar, because
>> practically anything (not just FreeBSD & Linux) will mount FAT32 file
>> systems, and tar should respect your file attributes (owner, group,
>> creation timestamp, last modified timestamp, etc).
>
> Except that you cannot create files with >4GB size on FAT32. You might
> be able to use an archiver that is able to split archives into smaller
> parts.

Ah yes, I'd totally forgotten about that, sorry.  i would probably
split the tarballs in a way similar to how the FreeBSD distribution
tarballs are split, but it's not pretty.

> This has always been a problem. FreeBSD is open source. So Linux is, but
> they do not have a common filesystem that could be accessed from both
> system, WITHOUT compromises. :-(

Are there compromises with using ext2fs under FreeBSD?

Perhaps there should be ufs or ext2fs modules for FUSE, in an ideal world :-)