Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:13:25 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD SCSI list), handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Subject:   Re: CD-R recommendations?

> As Brian N. Handy wrote:
>
> > There's nothing else running on that machine, so I'm beginning to think
> > the drive is headed for the dirt again.  Since I've had such lousy luck
> > with these, I'm thinking about picking up a different brand of CDR and
> > giving it a try.
>
> Just curious, your HP 4020 is an internal drive, right?  Are you
> pretty sure you have cooled it enough?  Mounting it in a normal PC
> tower is very likely to be _not_ enough cooling, as other people have
> also reporting.  You typically get write aborts when it overheats.  (I
> eventually forgot the exact SCSI error message, but ISTR that somebody
> told me the error is explained in their SCSI ref manual.)

[ Note: while I'm an HP employee, I have nothing to do with CDRs, except
  as a user.  I'm just a messenger.  ;-) ]

     I forgot where I saw it, but the maximum operating temperature of
the HP 4020i is something like 35deg.C, or 95deg.F.  Yes, it's that
low, and I can easily imagine a 4020i "overheating" inside many PC cases
(which tend to have poor cooling).

     Hmm.  I might have seen this at:

	http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/HP-FAQ.html

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.