Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:41:43 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hardware testing - e.g. memory - on old hardware

Like most geeks[1] I have a pile of roting hardware at home...  Someone
yesterday mentioned (vaguely) about utilities for testing hardware -
especially RAM - but presumably this could be extended to other hardware -
that would
1) tell you if it is OK.
2) isolate and by some mechanism make unusable sections of memory perminantly
damaged.

I figured this would be quite usefull for redundant hardware (where age and
lack of replacement parts might tempt one to hold onto hardware as long as
possible)

anyone have any idea if there is such a beasty?

[1] I have a theory about geeks.... there are geek-wannabes, geeks, ubergeeks
and Gnurus... and the process is progressive and non-linear....

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures