Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 14:14:47 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stay -current without skill in debugging (was: panic !)

On Thu, 13 May 1999 06:51:42 +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> Let's say I am learning how to become an hacker, but I do it very slowly,
> even if I am confident for the future :-) and so for the moment my function
> is still only "bug advisor" :-)

Hi Gianmarco,

Since you're learning, you will probably find the FreeBSD Handbook
chapter on Kernel Debugging most useful.

Also, Greg Lehey posted a cute HOWTO on taking panic dumps. I think the
details are included in the handbook chapter I've suggested, but I'd
suggest starting with his message, and then hitting the handbook if you
don't understand it (you did say you're learning, after all).

You can get Greg's HOWTO at (all on one line, no breaks):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=615265+0+archive/1999/freebsd-hackers/19990321.freebsd-hackers

I'm sure you understand why Jordan responded the way he did, since
you've been involved with CURRENT for so long. :-)

Later,
Sheldon.