Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:32:41 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum malfunction!

On Tuesday,  2 January 2001 at 10:46:25 +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> Quoting Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>:
>
>>> I've submitted kern/22021 which was left untouched, it has all the
>>> needed details.
>>
>> 1.  You insisted on including the config file and dmesg, which
>>     just bloat the PR and make it more difficult to read.
>
> yes I did. sed(1) is your friend.

OK, take sed(1) and a few other tools, and write a usable problem
report.  It's just plain impolite to expect people who are working for
free to endure this kind of crap.  In fact, even if you were paying
them, it's still impolite.

>> 2.  The backtrace still does not include Vinum symbols, making it
>>     pretty useless.
>
> To the very least it's not true.
> Please check again http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22103

There's one there which is missing symbols.  In a total of 30 printed
pages of mainly irrelevant text, I might have missed something.

>> 3.  It includes (without comment) a mail exchange with Andy Newman,
>>     which have been twice mutilated, once before I received the
>>     message, once after.
>
> This is completely irrelevant.

Precisely.  Please don't include irrelevant information.

>> Dealing with this kind of PR is an absolute pain.  It's bloated,
>> illegible, full of irrelevant information and lacking the information
>> I need.  It is, however, one of the few cases I've seen of a
>
> ..or any other reason that prevents you from working on it.

Sorry, what are you trying to say?

> vinum RAID-5 is dangerous, shouldn't be used in sensitive
> environments, and it cost me much health.

This kind of blanket statement detracts from anything useful you might
have to say.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.