Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:53:18 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to update from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to RELENG_4

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have an old FreeBSD 2.2.8 installation at a customers site.
> Does somebody have any experience in upgrading such a machine to 4.0 ?

No, but I did plan on adding support for upgrading from 2.2.x to 4.0.
The way we buildworld now should automaticly help you over the aout-elf
hurdle. It should be just a matter of adding the appropriate tools to
the bootstrap-tools target.

If you have the time, I hope you are willing to spend some time and
effort to work on getting a 1-step upgrade working (or at least the
buildworld part). Since I don't have a 2.2.8 machine, I can only do as
much as support you...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org