Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 20:50:24 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

"Jonathan M. Bresler" wrote:

>         the faith vs works debate has raged for centuries.  i prefer
> the one that clothes and feeds the poor and may or may not have any
> faith over the believer that doesnt quite get around to helping
> others.  Perhaps I am wrong, or you may think me evil, to espouse such
> a position.

I don't think you are evil...the problem is that people that sin (RMS in
this case) rarely do it consciously..they almost always think they are
doing something good but they aren't.

>         i have never seen any hate in his writings.  his critics often
> talk of hate.   you removed the part of my email concerning showing
> the man a little gratitude for the software that he has helped make
> freely available to you.  i am interested in your thoughts on that
> matter.

We do owe much to RMS; I recognize the free software concept he created
is invaluable for the world community. I have always thought that RMS
has good intentions, but I have the right to disagree on his way of
enforcing his ideas.

I try to avoid using GPL'd software (yes I do prefer commercial
software), however this is impossible since there is no reasonable
replacement to software like gcc. I don't contribute to GPL'd software
either, but I don't think there is nothing wrong in using it even when I
don't like the license. When I read the license it was also clear that
the license only applies to modifying and redistributing the software
but not on it's use. In sum I thank him for the good software but there
isn't much difference between a packaged binary and software covered by
the GPL.

>         Pablo Escobar is not to blame for the illegal narcotics habits
> in this country.  He certainly is to blame for his role in making
> these substances available.  Differentiating between the two is
> important. Otherwise, one might come to believe that getting rid of
> Pablo Escobar would solve the problem.   He's gone.  The problem
> remains.

I am Colombian. You don't have idea of what you are talking about.
Northamericans are the only ones to blame for making the substances
available. We have never cared a bit about who exports illegal drugs;
the Escobar problem became real when he planted bombs in the main
cities. People like him started rotting the country and soon it was too
late...

> > I am not saying Stallman is Hitler, but the fact that he does some good
> > things and that he is popular doesn't mean he is not evil.
>
>         Isnt there a Usenet rule about invoking Hitler in a thread?

This is not Usenet :-)...Ah well, I didn't know ...sorry. Email doesn't
reflect it but I am not angry with anyone...we all do evil things all
the time without knowing.

>         Well, I have said my piece/peace.

Take it easy...

cheers,