Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 20:20:07 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        allenc@verinet.com (Allen Campbell), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Naw, Netscape doesn't have a memory problem!

At 07:15 PM 5/3/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>There's no such thing as a "clean" install of Windows 98.
>
>I've become convinced that Windows 98 was intentionally
>destabilized in order to promote sales of Windows 2000; you
>are more likely to put up with the performance hit from the
>98 to 2000 switch if it makes your system more stable.

But Windows 2000 is not the next step for consumers; only for
businesses. Consumers get Windows 98 ME.

>A large corporation who shall remain nameless and therefore
>blameless has a policy of deploying only Windows 95 on new
>systems, for stability reasons.

If they're conquered all of the bugs they care about, why
not?

I understand that Yahoo stays several versions behind the
curve on FreeBSD, too.

>FWIW, I have seen Netscape crash a number of times.  If you
>run IE while running Netscape, you will almost inevitably
>get a "this program has performed an illegal operation error",
>wiithe the "Details>>" button showing that the error occured
>"VCRTL42.DLL" (the Visual C++ run time library) or "KERNEL32.DLL"
>(the Windows kernel).

Most likely a reentrancy problem.

> > Not in my experience. Netscape's best developers are gone, and AOL
> > cares little about it since it's not a money maker. Frankly, I'm
> > surprised that they haven't just killed it off as a sacrifice to
> > the Great God Microsoft. Or maybe that's what they're doing --
> > in an unusually slow and painful manner.
>
>I doubt it.  It's probably just programmer availability; working
>for AOL is just not as sexy as working for Netscape was.

Sexy? It's the ultimate turnoff. "Hey, come work for a company
that exploits clueless newbies!"

>A lot
>of big companies are in the same boat, with money to burn for
>people but no people lining up to take it.

Maybe that's because they realize that they have a chance of making
it big with a startup, but no chance of moving up past the entrenched
management in an established company to a high-paying position.

--Brett